I have a composer who wants me to notate a conga effect -- the player plays five strokes on the conga head with his right hand while putting pressure on it with his left elbow. (Or vice versa -- it doesn't matter.) He starts with a lot of elbow pressure but gradually applies less pressure, so the effect sounds like five descending notes. (The effect is common in Afro-Cuban playing but I've never had to notate it before).

The composer initially wanted to use noteheads on different staff lines to indicate the descending figure, but I think that's misleading because the effect is played entirely on a single conga. (Other measures have parts for two congas notated on different staff spaces.)

What do you think the most concise way of notating and explaining the desired effect would be? (The part is for a classical percussionist.)

Cheers,

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]