On 22.03.2007 John Howell wrote:
This is definitely completely non-standard for classical music. Look into any
complete edition, NBA, NMA, you name it. Never will it be done like this.

Agreed.  But it's still the best practical way to do it.  Anything else is a
convention, and almost certainly NOT the composer's idea since bars were hardly
ever numbered in original scores.

It has got little to do with what the composer intended. In my opinion the convention is by far the most logical way to number measures, and in addition it is the only which allows individual parts to differ on endings while still having the same measure count. It is actually very common in classical music to have a second ending only in some parts and not in others. You simply cannot number these separately.

I also find it very strange especially in baroque movements which are symmetric when the second section starts with measure 18, bringing the measure count to 33. Makes no sense to me.

Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de