On 22.03.2007 David W. Fenton wrote:
It is actually very > common in classical music to have a second ending only in some parts
> and not in others. You simply cannot number these separately.

I would say it's common in *historical* parts, but it's not a good idea to reproduce it in modern parts.

Well, I see it quite frequently in such famous editions like the Henle Haydn string quartets, Doblinger parts, and I believe I have even seen this in the NMA parts from Bärenreiter. Ok, I change "very common" to "quite common".

When I'm coaching chamber music and the parts are un-numbered at the first coaching, I tell the players to number all the measures, including 1st and 2nd endings, because I can't depend on them to do it right if they skip the 2nd endings in their numbering. Then at the next rehearsal, the first thing we do is check that everyone's measure numbers agree.

But in a *printed* score, I would *not* number the 2nd ending. It's only when you're manually numbering that counting all the measures is the easy way to do it.

I do not disagree with the practical reasons, but in a published edition the correct way to number measures is to give the first measure of the endings the same measure number, at least as far as music up to the second Viennese school goes. After that I couldn't care less how you number your measures. I would still number it the same way, but hey, anything is allowed in contemporary music, right? You could even write a piece where someone shouts out the measure numbers at the top of his/her voice. Would be quite funny going "...14!...15!...17!...". Perhaps the review will read "the performers left out measure 16 the second time". Perhaps not.

Damn, I should have written that piece myself, now someone else is going to steal the idea...

Johannes

--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de