On Apr 10, 2007, at 3:49 PM, Kim Patrick Clow wrote:

Someone wrote (I forget who ;)

I am a person with a pretty definitive
schedule, and a busy one, at that.  Why should it follow, then, that
I have no time for anything else?  Or more specifically, don't have
time to appreciate good aesthetic experiences?  Just because I might
have to pass by the world-famous violinist in the subway because I
need to get to work on time in the morning?

I suppose I'm lucky that I have a job that arriving 5 minutes late
isn't that big of a deal; and considering how many others stop and
watch musicians in NYC's subways, I'm guessing they can be a few
minutes late too.  People take time for things they value, so if
Washingtonians decided to ignore Joshua Bell, then oh well, that's
their loss.

It was me who wrote it. And you are lucky, Kim, to have a job like that. You're definitely not the norm. I don't think you quite caught the gist of my message, though.

Of course I stop and watch musicians when I am able to do so. But, for example, what if I am really enjoying the music from a person performing in the subway, but can't stay to listen, because if I take too long, then I will miss the curtain of the other aesthetic experience I'm on my way to, like a Broadway show? And, in fact, since I don't live in NYC anymore, this is exactly my experience when I am in the City nowadays.

My point here is that my passing by the busker doesn't mean I value his art any less than if I had stopped. It certainly *could* mean that, but not necessarily. And you're right, it *is* my loss, but doesn't the fact that I do recognize it as a loss then prove that I value it?

I think I'm basically piggybacking on Darcy's (and others') notion that people stopping or not stopping doesn't automatically prove whether the people in the Washington station valued what they were hearing or not. Hearing something of value in the music is only ONE possible reason for stopping or not stopping, and even hearing something of value in the music doesn't *determine* whether a person would have stopped -- there could be other more pressing concerns (like "I need to be on time to work").

The unscientific nature of the experiment really does end up defeating it: a quantitative measure of "whether people stop to listen or not" is not nearly as effective as qualitatively following up with all those commuters afterwards, and asking for their reasoning. I know it would be nearly impossible to do that (and I know they did it with a few), but that's part of the point too, isn't it?

-- Mike