On 15-Apr-07, at 3:31 PM, Kim Patrick Clow wrote:

 (Graupner). You can see a screenshot of the manuscript here:

http://www.bytenet.net/kpclow/brian/graupner/sarabande.jpg

The troublesome issue for me is measure 5, I assume the first three
notes are tuplet, then the next three, then the next two regular
quarter notes.

   Wow, that is a doozy. I'd read it the same way you do...
But it's disconcerting that the same notation which seems to be a tuplet in m5 is an ordinary dotted-quarter-plus-8th in m4 and m6!
 Cheers, Ch.S.
--
Music for String Quartet:
transcriptions of Bach's Goldberg Variations and Orgelbuchlein;