At 3:56 PM -0400 4/29/07, dhbailey wrote:
Christopher Smith wrote:

On Apr 29, 2007, at 3:39 PM, Andrew Stiller wrote:
You don't say what your hyphenation solution is for "fire", though. I have simply put it in as a melisma, but admittedly it won't be sung the same as if was split to two syllables.

"Fi-re"? Any other solution?

This is where the composer/arranger takes a leap of faith that the performer will understand what is meant. All notation is imprecise to a point, and some notation is more imprecise than others.

I wouldn't hyphenate "fi- re" for the same reason that I wouldn't hyphenate against dictionary hyphenation in general. I would trust that the person in charge of the music would understand that if the word isn't broken into two syllables, the note(s) which go with the 're' part of the word would not be heard clearly

OK, there's an up tempo madrigal that starts "Fi-re, fi-re" at some length. Two syllables, two notes. You may not like it, but it has to be done.

(it's hard to project when singing an 'rrrrrr' sound).

On the contrary, "r" IS a vowel, the ONLY vowel in "girl," "bird," or "heard." (That is to say, since it's easy to get tangled up in semantics, it is a phonated sound that can be sustained.) The written vowels are effectively mute. It is a BETTER vowel (better sound quality) if it is formed by keeping the tongue low in the mouth and lifting the two outside edges up to touch the upper teeth, than if it is formed by raising the middle of the tongue to the soft palate, but it functions as a vowel, and if it quacks like a duck, etc., etc.

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music