On 30 Apr 2007 at 9:47, Mark D Lew wrote:

> On Apr 30, 2007, at 9:23 AM, Andrew Stiller wrote:
>
> [answering David Fenton's PDF query]
>
> > No. All  symbols (including the title) show up as rectangles.
> > Clearly some kind of font problem.
>
> It looks fine on mine.  I would guess that there's some sort of font
> embedding issue whereby most methods of PDF viewing still read it
> fine but a few are tripped up by it and can't find the right fonts.

Well, first off, I'm using exactly same templates as I always use for
PDFs that I've posted to the list and to this particular user, and no
one has ever told me that there's a problem before, with one
exception, and that's the person who reported the problem.

Now, I've been distributing PDFs created with PDF995 (which is just a
wrapper around GhostScript) for years now and have never encountered
anyone saying there's a problem.

I would note that my Adobe Reader allows me to choose whether or not
to use local fonts or not. Perhaps if you have that checked it won't
read the fonts embedded in the PDF?

I've recreated the PDF optimized for portability (the default was
optimized for speed), and it's here:

http://www.dfenton.com/Collegium/Gibbons/Gibbons-LordGrantGrace2.pdf

I've also processed that file to optimize it for the Web, and the
result is here:

http://www.dfenton.com/Collegium/Gibbons/Gibbons-LordGrantGrace3.pdf

I see no differences between them, except that the web-optimized file
is very slightly smaller.

I don't know what version of OS X my correspondent is using, but it
may be an older one (she's not a techie and depends on her son, an
Apple employee, to keep her PC up-to-date, but he's not around much
any more!).

Andrew, what version do you have? And what are you using to view the
PDF? Preview? Adobe Reader? The Acrobat browser plugin?