I can certainly believe that of Cage, since his music never became popular and widely performed

!?

in comparison to composers from the 19th c. whose name begins with schu- perhaps, but cage is featured very regularly on contemporary music programmes and in festivals and is even often used as buffer music where new music is included on more traditional programmes, because of its accessibility (it would seem). cage wrote in a variety of styles of course, which are appreciated varyingly by the different factions of new music and non- new music scene, so it is impossible to speak of "cage" as being "unpopular" in any general sense.

his impact on the musical world, at least the one I travel in, has been more to get people to question their preconceptions about what is and what isn't music.

this is only part of the equation; relevant of course, but only part of it.

--

shirling & neueweise ... new music publishers
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] :.../ http://newmusicnotation.com