At 09:14 PM 5/25/2007 +0200, shirling & neueweise wrote:
>this kind of generalization about the state of
>new music really disappoints me, and i have to
>admit, i come across it more from americans than
>any other population

This seems to be my experience. The differences are sometimes striking, but
then my experience is limited to the eastern US and western Europe -- and
save for my own concerts, very little exchange with the general public.
Even my websites are specialized and of interest mostly to composers and
other musicians.

On the other hand, there is a different general public. For example, last
August, I posted the scene from my chamber opera on YouTube. Because of the
topic (Erzsebet the Blood Countess), it gets lots of views (about 5,000
plus another 5,000 of various 'bootleg' copies on YouTube) ... considerably
more than, say, "Spammung" (39 views and posted the same day last year).

The comments come from all over the world, public and private. Those
American visitors run negative (one printable comment: "wuts wit the
horrible music in the background?") but those outside the U.S. don't ("es
una música maravillosa, la adoro, es una ópera bellísima, me encanta, ¿has
echo más?, adoro esta música."). Private emails follow the same pattern.

I don't have any answers, but there is a cultural shift that isn't limited
to the US. The post below appeared on the Two New Hours list a few days ago
(Larry Lake is the host of Two New Hours, canceled in March after a quarter
century on the air).

Dennis