I have to differ with Andrew: 'classical' music was really far more popular in
18th/19th century America - and in fact especially in the 20th century than you
imply.    In the mid-to-late 1800s American symphony orchestras and opera
companies were sprouting everywhere; every last small town had its Opera House
which was routinely sold out when a Jenny Lind or Louis Moreau Gottschalk came
through.    And yes, of course the existence of such venues was not proof of
the popularity of the art forms, and perhaps the presence of the fine arts was
seen more as a prestige-requirement than anything else, but those fine arts
were ubiquitous and experienced by a wide spectrum of the populace.    Whether
the cheering mining-camp reactions to touring Shakespeareans or Tchaikovsky's
(1891) writings which document his astonishment while touring the US East Coast
at the fact that he was far-better known, comprehended and more widely
celebrated in America than in his own land, or the plethora of competing music
critics in US cities major and minor, the fine arts flourished all over America
in a popularity (I feel) great than today.    Dvorak was celebrated - and
extremely well-known in this country when Jeanette Thurber managed the coup of
bringing him here to head the National Conservatory of Music, which was only
one of many such American institutions in the 19th centruy, of course.  Nearly
every parlor in nearly every American home had a piano which served as training
ground for yet another Fur Elise rendering; Caruso's 78s were the
greatest-selling recordings by far - and the age of radio and later TV produced
far more wide-flung, non-specific broadcast dissemination of classical music
than we have today - think only of the Metropolitan Opera broadcasts, Toscanini
and his NBC Symphony Orchestra, broadcasts of the NYPhil, and - especially
relevant: think of Bernstein's Young Peoples Concerts broadcasts.

With all respect, I really do think the past 150 - 200 years of American fine
arts cultural access is much more relevant than you may think.   And perhaps
was far more a palpable part of the broad American experience than the more
narrow niche it seems to occupy today.

Best,

Les

Les Marsden
Founding Music Director and Conductor,
The Mariposa Symphony Orchestra
Music and Mariposa?  Ahhhhh, Paradise!!!

http://arts-mariposa.org/symphony.html
http://www.geocities.com/~jbenz/lesbio.html