Chuck Israels wrote:
So what I want to suggest to users of this technology is something like: Check your pitches and rhythms, with the understanding that subtleties in each of those areas will be changed by live musicians (in good and bad ways!), and try to get an idea of the overall textural and timbral (is that a word?) structure - the similarities and contrasts. Then imagine that most of them will be vastly improved in any halfway decent live performance.

Hows that for a cautionary instruction?

Speaking as a composer, one of the best things about the computer playing back my music is that I think it has improved my ability to judge the formal elements of a piece.

Is this section too long or too short? Finale helps me evaluate that better than reading a score in my head.

On the downside, I have noticed that my tempos tend to be faster in my own studio than what they should be in the concert hall. I suspect that is an acoustic thing -- the drier studio lends itself to faster tempos AND the fact that MIDI mockups tend to sound better when you emphasize the attacks of notes rather than the sustain.

Dynamics and balance are the biggest pitfall. The dynamic you put in the score to make it sound right is often NOT the dynamic you need in a real situation. This is a complex issue -- there is no one single solution to the problem.

-Randolph Peters