Either way has worked for me. I was a pencil-paper-ruler man for many years, and could always look at a section of score and hear it with my mind's eye...remember that, Dr. Deemer? It is beneficial, though, as Mr. Eden says, to have Finale playback your "theories". A brother of mine uses it as that for his jazz and big band transcriptions. At this point in time, it is also MUCH faster for me to generate a score and parts in Finale rather than the old method. However, the paper and pencil method really keeps you on task in vertical alignment, and, if you have good script, keeps you in good practice of neatness in writing and hence, reading.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lawrence David Eden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <finale@shsu.edu>
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 7:21 AM
Subject: Re: [Finale] New Question

My response is this:
I write and arrange MUCH better using Finale instead of paper and pencil. I guess my inner ear is just not advanced enough to be able to write and know exactly how something will sound, so I rely on Finale playback to test my "theories." I think that Beethoven and Mozart would have used Finale if it were available back in their day.

The request for new topics plus the fact that there's a Mythbusters marathon
going on got me thinking about confirming or busting a notation myth. I've
heard many composers state that composing/arranging on paper with pencil is not only preferable but artistically "better" than composing directly into a
computer notation application.

What are your thoughts? Discuss.

-Rob

--