Leigh Daniels / 2007/07/03 / 03:34 PM wrote:

>Is this because the C-F interval is the strongest because F supported by
>the leading tone E?

The way I see it, the 3rd is the most important note to characterize the
chord in most, if not all, cases.  In other word, leaving 3rd out makes
its character rather blurred, or should I say the gravity of the
tonality blurred.

As when you write minor second bellow the melody, it effectively destroy
the character of the top note as the melody, F against E in this case
effectively destroy the character of any kind of C chord, and start to
produce gravity shift to F.

--

- Hiro

Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Boston, MA
<http://a-no-ne.com> <http://anonemusic.com>