At 08:27 PM 8/9/2007, Horace Brock wrote:
>Actually, they did. The keyboard shortcuts in Simple are now so
>comprehensive, and the new Selection Tool so versatile, that mousing
>is increasingly less necessary (if that makes any sense). They also
>said that eventually they plan to make Simple Entry so easy and
>powerful that they can phase out Speedy altogether. Especially since
>you can also use a MIDI keyboard in Simple.

For me, working without a MIDI keyboard, there is absolutely no substitute for the three-octave computer keyboard in Speedy. It is so much faster and more intuitive than having to type the letter corresponding to the name of the note I want, even with all of Simple's gimmicks for jumping up and down the octave if needed. I guess I don't mind if they put new resources into Simple rather than Speedy, but I will scream bloody murder every time they mention phasing out Speedy. And if enough of us do the same, hopefully they will keep it around.

I do know that the Simple keybindings are all configurable, and I did once sit down and try to create a keyboard map that emulated Speedy. I can remap the three keyboard rows to C-B scales, but I coudn't solve the octave issue. *Most* of the time, Simple will understand which octave I want based on the shortest interval, but when it doesn't I have to manually switch, which is a big pain.

(I have said for years that the two main things keeping me from exploring Sibelius in depth were the lack of Scroll view and the lack of something like Speedy. Now they've got Scroll view....)

Aaron.