At 11:15 PM -0400 8/23/07, Raymond Horton wrote:

Missing the Eb soprano cornet is a problem for modern band with these older works, but with more woodwinds in the modern band this can often suffice. I've been working a lot with British-style brass bands, lately, and the Eb soprano cornets are certainly the woodwinds of those groups.

Actually I just got the Fall-Winter catalog for The WoodWind & Brasswind, and took a moment to look through the trumpet-cornet-flugelhorn pages. Yes, they list many more pages of trumpets, both Bb and specialty keys, but there are several pages of cornets and several choices of Eb soprano cornets, including Schilke, which ain't chopped liver!

The problem is actually that the trumpet has become the all-purpose instrument, needed for orchestral work, jazz band work, and marching band work. The cornet, especially one played with the proper mouthpiece and technique, is a vanishing voice out of choice, and not because instruments are not available.

John

--
John R. Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music