On Aug 25, 2007, at 1:10 PM, Dean M. Estabrook wrote:

Hmm, sort of a compromise between Flug and Tpt.

That's the problem right there: there isn't enough space between those two insts. to put in a third.

Actually, those proclaiming the death of the cornet are off by a couple of decades. At the time I wrote my book (pub. 1983), the cornet had become virtually indistinguishable from the trp., but that has since reversed, because of the original-instruments movement. Nowadays cornets are often built in the old pattern and played with proper mouthpieces--which means they have moved well away from the trp., but are now in danger of sounding indistinguishable from the flghn.

My _Procrustean Concerto for the Bb Clarinet_ calls for 2 flghn--an instrument I greatly love. When the piece was recorded in Poland, the Warsaw Orchestra couldn't get flugels, so I told them to use cornets, and the result was just right. Except that I had written (as I always do) for 4-valve flghns, and the cornets couldn't play the extra low notes. The trombones took 'em and made a reasonable stab at imitating the proper tone quality.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://www.kallistimusic.com/