Guy Hayden wrote:
I have found that trumpeters who do not play cornet will insist that there
is no difference between the two instruments.  OTH, cornetists will insist
that a marked difference exists.  As both a band and orchestra conductor I
do recognize a difference in the sound.  Mind you, I grew up (mid-50s)
playing in bands with large contingents of both instruments.

The comment about Tschaikovsky's use reminds me that "Capriccio Italien"
calls for both cornets and trumpets.  For a guest conducting gig a while
back I asked for both instruments in Berlioz' orchestration of von Weber's
"Invitation to the Dance".  None of the regular trumpeters owned cornets so
auxiliary players were engaged for the parts, causing bit of grumping by the
trumpeters!

I have heard that Clarke commented that he could not understand why anyone
would want to play cornet parts on the trumpet.  Maybe he knew something
about the different sound from the two? Guy Hayden

As a trumpet player, I find the difference between the trumpet and cornet to be very pronounced, though some players do what they can to minimize the differences. A lot can be done with mouthpiece selection to make the difference more or less pronounced, but ideally a cornet should have a warm, round sound, while a trumpet should have a bright, clear sound. Also, as has been said before, trumpets project much better than cornets.

When I get a call for a gig that calls for cornet, I bring one, and when I play jazz in small intimate settings I prefer to play cornet, but the vast majority of calls are for trumpet.

And flugelhorn is a whole other can of worms.

cd
--
http://www.livejournal.com/users/dershem/#
http://members.cox.net/dershem