Johannes Gebauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Certainly no modern vibrato, but no vibrato would be just as wrong...
In fact I am absolutely more vibrato was done in Bach's time than
between 1750 and 1850. A controversal view, I know.

I would be interested to hear your reasons and evidence, especially for a reduction in its use c. 1750. Spohr (c. 1840) I know, and Joachim (c.1909) I been told, describe vibrato as an embellishment to be used on particular notes, possibly more by soloists than by ripieno players.

--
Ken Moore