On 9 Sep 2007 at 23:30, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

> it seems to
> me that 19th century treatises are much more particular about the use of
> vibrato.

I'm very intrigued by your idea, and don't mean this comment as in
any way an effort to refute your hypothesis, but the fact is that the
19th century was much more particular about all aspects of musical
nuance, at least in regard to what those writing tutors specified,
but also in regard to the notation.

That Beethoven wrote more p and f in his music than Bach does not in
any way indicate that Bach wanted no dynamic contrast in his music.