On 23 Sep 2007 at 21:37, Kurt Gnos wrote:

> Since PDFs are basically postscript, and Finale's display, I guess, is
> also a kind of postscript,

Huh? How does Finale on Windows utilize PS onscreen? The fact is, it
doesn't.

For that matter, on Mac, display PS *is* used for rendering, but at
the OS level, not in Finale itself. Finale takes its data file,
translates it into what it wants painted onscreen, then hands that
off to the OS, which then renders it using display PS.

On Windows, of course, no PS is involved in the display at all
(except maybe the fonts).

> this should be solved easily.

It's the same issue we've been discussion with the XML converter --
Finale converts its data file to its internal represention of what
should appear onscreen and then hands it off to the OS to render.
That means there's a conversion/translation operation, so that's
where problems can creep in.

Finale is drawing the lines onscreen in a way that Acrobat Reader
doesn't render well. To me, the problem is with Acrobat, not with
Finale, though the ubiquity of Acrobat should give Finale's
developers pause in rendering their lines as multiple lines, instead
of in the more usual vector-based approach (i.e., describe the line
by its width and thickness, rather than drawing multiple skinny lines
to get a thick line).