dc wrote:
David W. Fenton écrit:
But, again, the problem as I see it is *not* with Finale, but with
Acrobat's incorrect line smoothing. I don't know why Finale sends
multiple thin lines instead of a single line with a particular
thickness to the print driver, but perhaps there's a reason for that.

This is what MM says. But then why doesn't Sibelius have the problem? A few years ago, someone explained, after looking at the Postcript description, that lines (staff lines, beams) in Finale were made of several thin lines. Whether this is true or not, the fact is that at certain magnifications you can see these multiples lines in staff lines, beams, etc. But not in Sibelius PDFs (nor in MacFinale PDFs). And this is what makes for the crappy look. On the other hand, there is no difference in the look of all the fonts, including the music fonts.

As someone else pointed out, the program itself (Finale or Sibelius) generates the data it needs to get the image on the screen, and then that is sent to the OS or to the Postscript interpreting program. Apparently Finale is using a particular routine (possibly subcontracted from a third party?) to generate its "Compile Postscript Listing" but when the program is set to print to a PDF printer such as Distiller or PDF995 or some other pdf creation program, the image data from Finale is interpreted by a different routine.

The difference between Sibelius and Finale when turned into PDFs may simply be the different approach each program takes to generating the lines to show onscreen. Those differing approaches to generating the original data may explain the differing results when printing to PDF files. So I guess one could claim that the "fault" may lie with Finale, when the same PDF program is used to print to pdf from Sibelius and from Finale and the on-screen results are different.

But the fact that some people are seeing great onscreen pdf files from Finale while others aren't says to me that the problem lies in the different approaches to PDF creation that the different 3rd-party pdf creation applications take. And that isn't Finale's fault.

--
David H. Bailey