At 6:01 PM -0400 10/10/07, Christopher Smith wrote:
On Oct 10, 2007, at 4:43 PM, shirling & neueweise wrote:

additional weight could be given to such a compilation as you have suggested if responders gave an indication of how many potential finale users they have suggested use sibelius instead, and if certain people could let MM know that they are also responsible for the ordering of multiple licences for the institution where they work. i think i remember who it was, but won't mention the name, a few years back said s/he was an avowed finale user and would not switch to sibelius, essentially because of the time invested, but that when the order went in for the lab (?) s/he was responsible for outfitting, it went to sibelius.

That description might apply to John Howell and me. 15 workstations (all of them) at my school upgraded this year to Sibelius 5, but not Finale.

We've actually evolved beyond workstations, and did so a few years ago. Our former computer lab is now simply a piano class lab. All students here are required to have computers and software specified by their department, and in the Music Department Mac laptops are strongly favored and all majors are expected to have, and to use, their own Sibelius software. And they really do carry their computers to class. (Whether they're taking notes or playing Super Mario is a separate question!!) That's about 40 incoming Freshmen or more each year. Every year. We were forced to drop Finale the year students were scheduled to arrive with OSX Macs, and MakeMusic had no program that would run on them.

And compared with what engineering students have to spend--on textbooks as well as software--our students get off cheaply!

John

--
John R. Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music