I got my cross-grade copy last week but am only now getting around to installing it. I still haven't test-driven the program yet, but I have been reading with great interest the list of bugfixes in Sib 5.1 available here:

http://www.sibelius.com/helpcenter/updates/sib51_changes.pdf

There has been a lot of (justified, IMO) complaining on this list about the bugginess of Fin2008. And I do sincerely hope that Fin2008a will be a major bugfix release. But just for a sense of perspective, take a look at just a few of the Sib 5.0 bugs that were not fixed until maintenance:

Moving notes between voices using Alt+2 or z2 etc. no longer causes Sibelius to lose articulations.

Changing the frequency of bar numbers no longer changes their vertical position relative to the staff.

Edits made after a blank page that occurs after the start of the score no longer causes multiple extra blank
pages to appear in the middle of the score.

When adding text to a blank page, the text now immediately appears once you finish editing; you no
longer need to force the page to redraw (Mac only).

It is once again possible to create barré lines in chord diagrams.

Copy Part Layout now works correctly.

Sibelius no longer crashes if you create an ossia, then undo it, then switch to a dynamic part.

You can now correctly save changes made in the Notes > Edit Arrange Styles dialog.

This is just a small selection of what seemed like the most egregious bugs in from the first *two* pages of an *18-page* PDF.

I don't say this to excuse the bugginess of the initial release of Finale 2008, nor the longstanding unfixed bugs in Finale. But it seems pretty clear from perusing this list that the initial release of Sib 5 was extremely buggy -- quite possibly at least as buggy as the initial release of Fin2008.

I don't intend to use Sib 5.0 enough to learn whether this impression is accurate -- the very first thing I will do after installing Sib 5.0 is to install the Sib 5.1 upgrade. But it does seem that both companies have a similar "release first, fix in maintenance" mentality that is (IMO) detrimental to their long-term health.

It's true that at least Sibelius is actually fixing this stuff (though I don't know how far back any of these bugs go, or how many remain unresolved), and that Finale has allowed certain major bugs to remain unfixed, year after year. And I sincerely hope that Finale start making bufixes a serious priority.

But, at least based on this list, it's not true that the initial release of SIb 5.0 was all sunshine and light, while the initial release of Finale 2008 was a mess. In fact, both would appear to have been not ready for prime time.

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brooklyn, NY