At 8:52 PM -0700 10/24/07, Mark D Lew wrote:
On Oct 24, 2007, at 7:40 PM, John Howell wrote:

There is nothing ambiguous or arguable about graphic copyright under U.S. law: it does not exist, and never has.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I didn't mean to suggest that graphic copyright exists under U.S. law. I meant to suggest that it's not always clearly established whether an edition is really an edition (which gets full protection) or is merely a facsimile (which gets no protection).

Ay! The divil's in the details! Case in point: the BG edition of Bach as opposed to the NBA edition. No question that the editors of BOTH editions devoted major portions of their lives and scholarship to producing those editions. The research on just a single piece of music can cover a year or more. But I'm sure that there are plenty of unambiguous pieces for which the only editorial contribution is to modernize key signatures and clefs. Is that enough to claim a new copyright? Obviously Bärenreiter's attorneys answered this "yes."

Or a more easily seen example: There is a class of modern editors of music for children's choirs who seem to be convinced that if they change one note of an original aria by, say, Handel, or change one word of the text, or leave out a phrase, that is sufficient to give them a new copyright. My reaction is that sure, it gives the a copyright in that one note, or that one word, and that's it! But I'm neither a lawyer nor a judge, and that's where law gets made.

And to take it to the ridiculous, there's the guy who "rediscovered" the measures in Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" that Gershwin himself had excised, thus giving to the world the "original" version which Gershwin obviously considered in need of trimming, and so conveniently did so just in the nick of time to claim a new copyright before the original ran out!

Anyway, the observation was merely a caveat to my main point which was going in the opposite direction. I think we agree on that.

We do indeed.

John

P.S. Can anyone familiar with European law answer one question? Given that there is a recognized graphic copyright on page layout, can it possibly last longer than the underlying copyright on the contents of those pages? That seems to be what the UE claims are all about, at least in some cases.

--
John R. Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music