>And even there, the problem isn't always the soundcard drivers
>-- softsynths often have incredible latency issues when trying
>to play them live, since the soundcard or USB keyboard driver
>gets the keypress, has to pass that information on to the
>softsynth which has to get that sound's data from memory and
>pass that onto the CPU to be processed, then that gets passed
>to the soundcard to be sent to the speakers.
>
>For extremely low-latency while using soft-synths (such as
>Finale Soundfont or GPO playback) an extremely fast CPU with
>tons of RAM is required.
>
>Running a midi keyboard directly into the soundcard to play
>the soundcard's built-in synth (even if the sample are held in
>RAM such as with Creative Audigy soundfonts) is very direct
>and unnoticeable latency.  Once a USB keyboard is added into
>the mix a bit more latency creeps in, and once a USB keyboard
>along with softsynth playback such as through Finale/GPO, a
>lot more latency is introduced.
>
>David H. Bailey

My keyboard can also be set up to use direct MIDI into a soundcard (an
M-Audio Audiophile 2496), then to Finale and out to Audigy Extreme with a
soundfont loaded. I cannot really hear much improvement from routing the
keyboard in through USB, but it may be a bit better. CPU is 2.4GHz with 2GB
of RAM.

Does anyone have a setup with Finale and a MIDI keyboard that has minimal
latency?

Richard Yates