John Howell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

P.S. Can anyone familiar with European law answer one question? Given that there is a recognized graphic copyright on page layout, can it possibly last longer than the underlying copyright on the contents of those pages? That seems to be what the UE claims are all about, at least in some cases.

My understanding is that in English law,* the appearance of the page is copyrighted for 25 years, independently of the copyright in the composition per se. I presume that this is to protect the seller against the orchestra that purchases one copy of each string part of a Classical work and photocopies them for the remainder. This simplifies the cases that would otherwise depend upon editor's copyright.

* Harmonisation with European law may have changed this. AFAIK, the composer's copyright extending to 70 years after death was derived from Spanish law, this having previously the longest period of the states that were members at the time.

--
Ken Moore