On 1 Nov 2007 at 14:11, John Howell wrote:

> >David W. Fenton wrote:
> >>
> >>Quote:
> >>
> >>      Netscape 6.0 is finally going into its first public beta. There
> >>      never was a version 5.0. The last major release, version 4.0, was
> >>      released almost three years ago. Three years is an awfully long
> >>      time in the Internet world. During this time, Netscape sat by,
> >>      helplessly, as their market share plummeted.
>
> One assumes that this refers exclusively to Windows versions.

Why would one assume that? There was no NS5, and NS6 came out around
the time that article was written. NS7 came out after Mozilla 1.0 was
released (because it was built on Mozilla 1.0). I don't recall
precisely when 8 came out and didn't know there was a 9, but so far
as I know there's been no difference between the numbering and
releases of the Mac and Windows versions of Netscape.

Perhaps you're referring to market share?

> The
> Navigator on my present computer is v. 9.0.0.1.  And yes, I see that
> the article is dated 7 1/2 years ago.  And that it's an opinion
> piece, by someone with very strong opinions!

Someone whose opinions make a great deal of sense, it seems to me.

> Mark of the Unicorn did a complete new program--Composer's Mosaic--in
> the early '90s, as a replacement for Professional Composer, which was
> a real dog of a program hardly better than Music Construction Set.
> And made it possible, no, EASY, to convert Composer files to Mosaic
> files.  Unfortunately they later gave up on supporting their notation
> program and veered off in other directions.  I guess the question
> everyone seems to have is whether MM is going to do the same with
> Finale.

Writing a completely new program is not the same thing as re-writing
an existing program.