Randolph Peters wrote:
I don't believe this is a feature, because previous versions didn't behave this way

Previous versions had _different_ behaviour for single-click and drag-enclose. The old click method made even less sense, for example (describing how it used to work in the old Finale versions):

1. You have a 2-layer piece
2. You held down a metatool key and clicked a note, just to notice that the metatool was placed on the other note layer

To elaborate: In the articulation tool, hold down, say, number 1 (staccato for me), draw a box around some notes, including notes in other layers, and let go. All the notes in all the layers get staccatos.

...which is AFAIK how it has been since metatool-drag-enclosing of articulation was introduced: it reflected MassEdit's "Apply Articulation". I just tested your description in Finale 2003 and it works just the same way.

Is this bug [...]

You're saying that a consistent behavior is more buggy?

Best regards,

Jari Williamsson