I have a slightly different take on this. If we're talking about a big
publisher who just wants to let you print one time and have the same
licensing restrictions as most printed music, I agree completely.

In my view, the entire publishing model needs changing. My music is
published with a license that allows unlimited copying of parts to the
original purchaser only but prohibits the transfer of the license (you
can't loan the music to another director). You can also print scores for
judges or evaluation but performance requires my published score. I
deliver a score and a master set of original parts printed on heavy
paper or card stock so they can be copied as needed. The same procedure,
modified for the score, could be used for electronic delivery.

I realize that it's difficult to enforce such a license but it's also
difficult to prevent unauthorized copying and my system fits the way
many directors need to work today. Another composer once said to me
"once it's published, we can't really control what happens to it
anyway". I also think such a license is worth *slightly* more than the
usual license because it eliminates expense later.

In my experience, some directors prefer traditionally published music
that is ready to pass out when purchased and others prefer the
electronic method if the license is better. I can't think anyone would
want to buy music with a traditional license that you had to print
yourself. The site probably has limited resources because they have
little success.

Richard Smith

www.rgsmithmusic.com <http://www.rgsmithmusic.com/>

Jari Williamsson wrote:

"I agree that neither is an ideal solution for an end user, and any such
electronic purchase of music which doesn't allow the end users to end up
with a printable file on their computer is doomed to failure.  There's
just too much which can go wrong, witness the problems we're all having
with these supposedly foolproof viewers.  :-)

I'm not about to spend $95 for a band work where I won't end up with a
file which can be reprinted when needed.  Who among the vast numbers of
the supposed market these merchants are aiming at have printers set up
with heavy-duty, acid-free, won't die/rip/get-soaked-and-rot papers and
printers which can handle such paper?

$95 for a single-use piece of music?  No thank you."