Kim Patrick Clow wrote:
[snip]> I think it's very exciting to be able to do all this, and while I'm not sure
where the dust will settle on all this (distribution seems to be
a big issue still for independent publishers), I'm very curious for other
thoughts on this entire process. I know many here have been in
music and publishing since before the advent of the Internet and PC. These
developments have to be fascinating to participate in.

[snip]

I think it's fascinating, as well.

There are good points and bad points in all this democratization. With the old-line publishers, not all of whom are necessarily using "big seller" status as a determinant of what they will publish (Southern, Kjos, Presser, MMB, CLBarnhouse, come to mind as publishers who publish because of the musical quality and less because they'll make large profits on any one composer or composition) there was always the culling of garbage that went on. They wouldn't publish just anything -- it had to have what that particular publisher felt had musical merit. With the internet, anybody can publish anything, so that people who in the past could simply buy anything from a particular publisher knowing it had a minimum level of quality, need to know what to look for in advance. The individual needs to have much more expertise and ability to filter the crap from the gems. Unfortunately, today's educational system is preparing people less and less to be able to make such decisions for themselves, with all the teaching towards success on standardized tests (no child left behind evaluation tests as well as personal-success tests such as the S.A.T. or the A.C.T. in the U.S. -- I can't speak at all about educational processes in other countries) the ability of the individual to assess quality in products is sorely lacking.

Just as the advent of MIDI and personal computers and notation software allows anybody who can find the on switches and can press a key on a musical keyboard to call themselves "composer" with no educational minimum which used to be required in order to know how to write the music on paper to put in front of others, so, too, the potential of internet sales has allowed anybody to call themselves "publisher."

Another downside to this democratization is that everybody gets to shout at the world "Hey, my opinion is worthwhile, read all about it right here at www.icanspewgarbage.com and read how wonderfully brilliant I am!" Heck, most of the people who have made it over the hurdle to actually make it into print don't have opinions worth reading and often get over-inflated ideas about how important to the rotation of the earth their opinions are -- now that anybody and everybody can do it, there are more inflated egos and more silly rantings than before. Maybe there are more gems as well, but the signal-to-noise ratio hasn't gotten any better.

Sturgeon's law (90% of anything is crap) most definitely holds true of the stuff on the internet. The problem is that with such an exponential explosion of how much stuff is available, it makes it much harder to find the 10% which is worthwhile. The democratization offered by the Internet hasn't necessarily produced much more worthwhile content -- it's just made it harder to wade through all that is available in order to find the worthwhile stuff, whether it be self-published music, self-important opinions offered on countless blogs, videos on youtube which shouldn't have made it out of the video cameras they were recorded on, whatever.

On the other hand, support groups such as this Finale group were never possible, not with the breadth of membership and scope of knowledge and experience, before the advent of the internet, and that alone makes all the overabundance of crap worthwhile. :-)

--
David H. Bailey