While the special was lengthy, and it covered a lot of turf in 2 hours, it
was essentially showing how the notion of
democratization in our daily lives are now because of the Internet. I've
written about this before, and I'm curious
about any opinions and thoughts about this process. I find it amazing that
anyone with a computer, music notation program
can essentially publish music at will, and give the "big boys" a run for
their money.

I, too, find this an interesting subject.  I am not sure just how much of a
"run for their money"we self/independent publishers can give the big guys.  I
have had some success in self publishing with sales of most of my pieces at one
time or another.  But even with great reviews it still takes a great deal of
money to shop yourself & your goods.  I've been through the direct mail bit as
well as advertising in the trades and even had a booth at some conferences.
These are very expensive endeavors which, for someone like me, is just entirely
too expensive to maintain.  It has given me some insight as to why the "big
guys" are so picky.

Personally I have thought about and would love to see something like an
independent music publishers co-operative which, if large enough, might
actually give the big guys a run for their money.  In my conversations with
music teachers (much of my music is geared to the education level market), they
are very receptive to new material and would like to see more variety available
to them.  So I think, at least for the educational market, the door is ajar.

Nick Raspa

NJR Music Enterprises

http://members.aol.com/njrmuse