> And I'm *still* not sure I grok what's going on in your Ferneyhough
> example. Let me try again:
>
> You've got two notes of equal length in the 2/10 bar -- never mind
> what to call them. Each note gets one beat. The tempo
> indication says
> e=68. Does the tempo indication mean *these* two notes in the first
> bar are played at 68 BPM?

Yes

> And the next bar -- my understanding is that the three notes in this
> bar are all 4/5ths as long as the notes in the preceding measure,
> right? So is the tempo for this bar is 54.4 BPM? Or does the e=68 in
> the *first* bar mean the eighth notes in the *second* bar are all 68
> BPM -- and therefore the two notes in the *first* bar are 85 BPM?

The former (you mean 5/4th?), in performance terms one should feel an
elongation of the pulse by a specific ratio rather than concerning
oneself with a particular calculation for a metronome marking.  This is
particularly important for being able to make sense of passages where
there may be a long gradual rall. or accel. across several bars,
including such changes in the pulse.

> So what is the test to determine whether you can, in fact, hear an
> interval or a rhythm in your head? Whether you can write it
> down? That
> can't be it -- lots of singers can't accurately transcribe the
> intervals they sing. Art Blakey could have played you (accurately!)
> rhythms he'd have found impossible to notate.
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Darcy

But is a 'test' what we really want or what is needed?  That's getting a
little distracted from the point at hand, the music itself, and
trivialising it into some kind of game.

Owain