Darcy James Argue / 08.3.23 / 6:36 PM wrote:

>Notational convenience, nothing more. The Brazillians wrote their
>bossa novas in 2/4, but all those sixteenth note syncopations were
>hard for American jazz musicians to read, so we renotated them into
>cut time. Doesn't make any difference to how it sounds, though.

Sorry, I can't let this one go.
American jazz musicians staring with Stan Getz converted bossa into
4/4.  Not cut time.  You must be thinking of samba, instead.  Anyway,
when jazz musician plays Brazilian music in 4/4, this means that
musician is feeling on 2 and 4, it's like stabbing my back.  I can't
stand it.  Jazz schools teaches bossa groove as jazz bossa, not the real
one.  Even samba with cut time, Brazilian music dance on beat 2, not 1.
If anyone watch Brazilians dance, he/she will never be able to feel
their music in 4.  I played in Rio twice.  The musicians I played over
there took me to samba school and/or choro every night, and people dance
until 4 am.  People who come out for music every night doesn't need to
work next morning!

Anyway, the point is, as a musician who has been playing with various
native Brazilians last 18 years, I totally believe that Brazilian music
will sound differently when played by non natives if they are not
written in sixteen note syncopations.

Notation is very phycological.

--

- Hiro

Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Boston, MA
<http://a-no-ne.com> <http://anonemusic.com>