Ryan Beard wrote:
Thanks for the help guys. I changed the quantization
settings to allow dotted rests. Now my complaint is
that Finale doesn't doesn't handle rests in 9/8
correctly. Try this:
Enter a single eighth note at the beginning of the
measure, exit out of Speedy and let Finale fill with
rests. For me, it puts two eighth rests and one dotted
half rest. In my opinion, it should be two dotted
quarter notes. Just like in 3/4, I believe you
shouldn't "hide" the middle of the bar with a half
rest (dotted half in 9/8). I guess there's no way to
get finale to fix this, is there?
Ryan

Now you're asking the impossible -- for Finale to "guess what's on your mind." :-)

I've never seen anything wrong in 3/4 with quarter-note-half-rest. It's a very clear rhythm and not all that difficult. And there really isn't a "middle of the bar" the same way there is in duple meter. You hide the true middle of the measure if you use quarter-note/quarter-rest/quarter-rest anyway, so I don't see why a simple rhythm making use of a half rest on beats 2 and 3 is a problem.

And I don't think I would have a problem with the dotted-half-rest in 9/8.

But in any event, you didn't ask what I thought about it, just complaining about how Finale does things. Send a request for a change in behavior to MakeMusic and stand in line with the rest of us waiting for our requests to be acted on. :-)

--
David H. Bailey