On 22 May 2008, at 2:47 AM, Ryan Beard wrote:

Darcy wrote:
Except in compound meters, I have no problem with
dotted half rests.
(I might even consider using a dotted whole rest on
beat 1 of a bar of
15/8.)

I would have to object to that one.

Hi Ryan,

That's why I said I "might even consider" the practice, not "hells yeah, I'd put dotted whole rests all over the damn place!" [grin]

In the vast majority of cases, I'd avoid it, for most of the same reasons you describe. All I meant was that I wouldn't rule it out entirely! I sometimes (rarely, but it happens) find use for a whole rest indicating four beats of rest in 5/4.

Cheers,

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]