At 2:53 PM -0400 8/1/08, Blake Richardson wrote:
From: John Howell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

 It's entirely possible that the chains--especially Kinko's--would
 refuse to handle it because it is copyrighted music.  You did realize
 that it is copyrighted, right?  And that your copying it without
 permission is an infringement?

Yes, but neither I nor the LoC have a problem with it because both composers
specifically allowed for copying for research purposes when they donated
their work to the Libray.

Are we really talking about "donation" here, or plain and simple deposit with LC as part of the copyright process? And are the copyrights in the names of the composers, or in the names of the movie companies? Not saying you're wrong by any means, but this certainly does skirt the edges of the copyright law. Could you explain exactly how the composers "specifically allowed for copying for research," since there is no provision in the law itself that provides a procedure for that?

I do wonder, as well, whether "research purposes," which are indeed permitted in SOME situations, covers making and distributing additional copies, which is exactly what you would be doing if you print up more copies and give them to LC. If you've discovered a loophole that might apply to, for example, scores by Gershwin or others that are still under copyright, we'd be very interested in learning about it.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.