At 11:22 PM -0400 8/5/08, John Howell wrote:

5. 'div. par pupitre'

"divide by stand"

Interesting that two other listers translated this as "divide by desk." I have never referred to a music stand as anything but a "stand," never as a "desk." "Music desk"? It even looks weird! The Manhasset company (I just checked their website) refers only to their "stands," except when they are speaking very specifically ONLY about the part that holds the music and not the mechanism that holds it up, where they do use the word "desk." Perhaps that's a direct translation of a European word that DOES mean "desk," but it certainly isn't a term used at my level of performing or teaching.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.