Many thanks for the interesting responses so far in this thread. As expected, most of the information, while reasonable and with some practical experience behind it, is rather informal. e.g.

— accidentals should be clearly distinguished, particularly sharps and naturals; — serif fonts are more readable (a familiar conclusion from text font research); — players tend to read signs (e.g. hairpins or stacatto marks) more reliably or faithfully than words (e.g. cresc., dim., stacc.)

The relationship and proportion of black marks to white page seems, in particular, to be a serious issue. This, like serifs, is familiar from text studies. I do wonder if there are additional layout issues from which a glance at text research might be useful, for example, the avoidance of "rivers" of white space through a page. However, I have observed that there seems to be a real connection between repertoire and preference on this issue. For example, musicians playing Broadway shows seem to prefer a commercial "ink pen" style with relatively little black to white, while opera pit parts tend to be more compact, minimizing page turns and the net number of pages. While there may be some musical issues leading to this — musicals use flexible items like vamps and the music is in numbers, not through-composed — the physical circumstances of playing in the pit (little space, less light) are very similar, and moreover, the opera parts tend not only to be more detailed, but it is expected that the details be attended to, which ought to go against the dense notation style. So I'm led to the expectation that the differences are more of habit than of efficiency. I'd like to seem some more concrete tests of this.

As an aside, I must admit to finding yet another discussion of vernacular chord notation somewhat puzzling. While, in principle, the intention would appear to be to create a notation for rather flexible extemporaneous realization, in practice, the usage prefered by one player or another tends to be voiced in a rather doctrinaire way (i.e. always this, never that; this is right, that is wrong). I suspect that these are closely tied to particular traditions and schoold, but I don't know enough to sort them out. Coming, personally, from a classical background — which one would suspect to be more doctrinaire, but is in fact one in which musicians tend to be comfortable with a number of notations for both harmonic analysis and performance, some of which have the virtue of little ambiguity (continuo bass figures), others of which are interpretive and often contradictory (functional notation, scale step (Stufen) notation, combined scale step/functional notation etc.) — this discussion is fairly startling.

Daniel Wolf
Frankfurt