Are you using Finale 2009? If that's the case, this is easy to do with the Expression Tool:

Choose the Tempo Marks category and click on "Create Tempo Mark". In the Expression Designer for tempo marks, you'll see "insert note" on a drop-down menu. Just choose the dotted quarter from the menu, type the equal sign and choose the quarter from the menu.

Michael