I've done hundreds of hymns in Finale. why not use the Vertical Collision
Remover plugin? I do start with a template that has the spacing between
lyric verses as well as the spacing from the top staff to the 1st lyrics
set. But other than that, I don't bother setting the bottom lyric to bottom
staff spacing (which frequently changes from hymn to hymn) or any other
vertical spacing settings. I use the default settings of the plugin and
almost every time I get a useable document. Even when I enter lyrics on
verses 6 or 7 that are well into the bottom staff at the time of entry, the
plugin adjusts everything nicely, no messing with page layout & system
margins. In my opinion, one of the better plugins for this issue.

James Gilbert
www.jamesgilbertmusic.com