At 10:57 AM -0500 12/25/08, Martin Banner wrote:
I am working on an 18th Century edition from an autograph manuscript (dated 1769). The final movement of this choral/orchestral work is a fugue in cut time (4/2 time). Although the autograph manuscript notates a full measure rest with a double whole rest, I was wondering if I should use that in a modern edition or go with the Finale default whole rest for a blank measure.

Also, if I use the double whole rest for a blank measure, the rest is all the over to the left. How would I go about centering the double whole rest?

By the way, I'm using Finale 2008 on an iMac.

Thanks.

Martin

There's no doubt in my mind that if it's a modern edition (and not an attempt at an exact urtext reproduction) you should go with the modern convention. Same thing with multimeasure rests instead of incomprehensible stacks of old-time rest values. And I wouldn't say it's a Finale default, but rather a modern notational default.

I just checked in Roemer (1973). He doesn't say anything about using a whole rest in all time signatures, but he does show the double-whole rest as "obsolete." From working in early music I understand the older rest conventions perfectly well, and also understand where they came from historically, but as a modern player I don't want to have to stop and decode them!

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"We never play anything the same way once."  Shelly Manne's definition
of jazz musicians.