On 30.12.2008 Robert Patterson wrote:
I still don't understand the problem with multi-measure rests in
parts. Why use symbols at all, if they are not correct? Or why not
adopt the Brahms Requiem approach?

I must have missed the Brahms Requiem approach in the discussion. However, why use Symbols in parts? Because a lot of publishers do that, like Bärenreiter (Bach B minor mass etc), and it is still standard for such editions. I like it, too, it looks better than simple bars. And Finale should be able to do it. It is simply not following conventions, neither with single bar rests in 4/2, nor with MMrests.

To answer your other question, it is a while since I have done it, but I believe you have to apply it exactly to the measures in question. I haven't looked it up, but can you apply staff styles only to empty measures?

Johannes