From: Allen Fisher <al...@fisherartandtech.com>

David--

Finale is not unicode compliant. What font are you trying to use?

Allen

and

Finale doesn't support Unicode. You need an old-fashioned
non-Unicode IPA font.

- Darcy
-----
djar...@mac.com
Brooklyn, NY

and

From: Richard Yates <rich...@yatesguitar.com>

Look here: http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/wells/fonts.htm

Allen, Darcy, and Richard,

Thank you all. I tried using one of the fonts Richard suggested. It still gives me a bunch of rectangular boxes in Finale, and I can't get it to work anywhere in any application.

Maybe I'm installing the font incorrectly? I dragged it into the top level fonts folder. That should work, but it didn't. I next tried making sure that it showed up as active in Linotype FontExplorer X. I then tried converting the font to PS with True Blue. I did these in stages, but none of them gave me a font that works in any situation.

This is too much like work! I'm going to use unicode in MS Word to type my three words, export each as a pdf, open them in Graphic Converter, trim/crop to the words and save them tifs, and import those into Finale. At least I know that will work! At this point, it is faster than messing with this. Thank goodness I don't need IPA regularly!

Thank you all for your suggestions. I now see why unicode in Finale would be a really nice thing!

David Froom