David,

Not sure if you're on Mac or PC, but I think the issue is the same. Because a
non-unicode font is limited to 255 characters (actually less, for various
reasons), unicode fonts need to "map" the glyphs to different positions in the
font. Unicode has a much larger range (65535, I think) so it can afford to give
glyphs positions in the character set over a much larger range. That is, in
unicode, the glyphs are assigned numbers much larger than 255. For non-unicode
fonts, the glyphs are therefore assigned to characters (number positions) that
are less or equal to 255. I have the same problem with macrons. I use macrons a
lot. In unicode, there is, for example, a macron-A, but this does not exist in
my regular non-unicode fonts. Instead, I have a special font that maps
macron-vowels to diaresis-vowels. So, every time I want a letter with a macron
in this special font, I have to enter the letter with a diaresis. Really a pain
in the butt, because I have to look up each character's corresponding position
in my non-unicode font.

MS Word uses unicode, as do other Office products. If you copy a unicode font
to Finale, it gets "confused", resulting in the boxes you see. (There's a more
technical explanation, but I think I'm confusing enough as it is.)

Shorter explanation: You will need to "map" each IPA glyph to the corresponding
character in the non-unicode font. painful. Second, please help me beg MM for
unicode.

Hope this makes some sense.