On 9 Feb 2009 at 13:49, earlrs...@aol.com wrote:

> It sounds like you are saying after 1900 music is less apt to be "swung".
> If that is what you are saying then I would disagree with you.

Whether or not it was intended by the original practitioners in the
19th century, the performance practice tradition in which *I* grew up
was very clearly of the opinion that Wagner and later wanted the
meter to be subservient to the line. This meant that the traditional
underlying accent pattern of the meter was ignored, with all notes
being of equal weight regardless of their metric position, and
deriving the pattern of emphasis from the shape of the line.

Most of the bad performances of Baroque music that came out of the
50s and 60s treated the Baroque in that fashion, too.

But, again, YMMV -- I don't want to make the "Taruskin error" by
claiming picking off the weak just so I can criticize the
performances of the whole. When I listen to certain individual
performers, I hear a lot of "swing" in their playing, despite their
being planted firmly in what I might call the "swingless" tradition.
But it's the exception to the overarching performance style, which
you are likely to hear much more blatantly in the second- and third-
tier musical organizations. It's particularly a problem of chamber
music ensembles and orchestras, much moreso than individual
performers, seems to me.

I don't speak for Johannes, of course.