On 9 Feb 2009 at 17:46, earlrs...@aol.com wrote:

> Mr Fenton... that's a HUGE statement for so little backup   "Whether or not
> it was intended by the original practicioners" and your support for it where
> "you" grew up.. if you have read ANY of the Wagner literature and heard ANY
> of
> the conductors of the direct Wagner lineage, Muck, S Wagner, Nickisch or even
> subjected them to audio analysis in for example Digital Performer, you would
> very quickly that an EXTREMELY flexible tempo

I have not said anything about tempo...

> is the order of the day and that
> there is NO SUCH THING as
> "all notes being of equal weight".

And I said exactly that -- I said that weight in the Wagnerian style
was determined by the shape of the line, not by metric position. Did
you perhaps miss that post?

> I have no idea where you got this "play it
> like a Sousa March/metronomically" idea,

That is ridiculous -- nothing swings more than a Sousa march.

> but it is directly contradictory to
> Wagner's wishes and contradicts historically informed performance practice.

Metronome marking and tempo have nothing at all to do with what I'm
speaking of, so I don't think it's possible to have a discussion when
you're speaking about one topic and I'm speaking of an entirely
different one.