Katherine Hoover wrote:
I generally print on legal paper, in order to eventually have pieces done on 9 x 12 paper at the printer. This means I have to work with systems rather freely at times. At the moment I'm doing a piece for two pianos, and need to get 3 systems on a page (3 groups of 4 staves.) I cannot seem to move the second system at all, and those some others will move and some will not. I took the time to try various things under the page layout tool, but I was not able to solve the problem.

Again for some reason this was not a problem in my old Finale program. Also the movement I just finished I was able somehow to work with. But it is patently clear that I don't really KNOW what works and what doesn't, and I'm wasting a lot of time messing around.

    Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Make sure that the option in Page Layout to evenly space all systems on the page is turned off -- that way you can move the systems wherever you want them up and down on the page. With it turned on, the bottom system will always have it's bottom margin at the bottom margin of the page, and the top system will have its top margin at the top margin of the page.

I can understand your desire to get the music to print more easily on 9x12 paper, but you could create the music at a slightly smaller percentage on 8.5x11 paper and then simply zoom when you print to get the music to fit the 9x12 paper as you want. That way the shape of the paper remains the same and what looks nice on the 8.5x11 paper will still look nice on the 9x12 paper. I think the increase to set the zoom at is only something like 105% or so (I haven't done it in a while) and thus won't introduce any ugly artifacts which can occur when you do a larger percentage increase.

--
David H. Bailey
dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com