Katherine, I don't know which version of Finale you are using, but all this is covered in the documentation. Check the Encyclopedia under Page Layout.

I would further endorse David Bailey's suggestion to create your drafts at 8.5x11 and zoom them up to 9x12 at print time. Any print shop can do this, and you preserve your hard-won and extremely important page layout. I often used to do this by saving as PDF (built into the Mac OS) and bringing a thumb drive with the PDFs on it to the print shop. (Now I have a large-format printer, so it isn't necessary any more.)

Christopher

On Feb 13, 2009, at 9:03 PM, Richard Yates wrote:

Open the file in Scroll View and make sure that there is minimal space above the first staff. Select and drag all staves upwards in Staff Tool if you need to. With Page Layout, edit the system margins to remove extra space
between staves.

-----Original Message-----
From: finale-boun...@shsu.edu [mailto:finale-boun...@shsu.edu]
On Behalf Of Katherine Hoover
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2009 4:22 PM
To: finalelist
Subject: [Finale] another simple (I hope!) question

        I generally print on legal paper, in order to
eventually have pieces done on 9 x 12 paper at the printer.
This means I have to work with systems rather freely at times.
At the moment I'm doing a piece for two pianos, and need to
get 3 systems on a page (3 groups of 4
staves.)  I  cannot seem to move the second system at all, and
those some others will move and some will not.  I took the
time to try various things under the page layout tool, but I
was not able to solve the problem.

        Again for some reason this was not a problem in my old
Finale program.  Also the movement I just finished I was able
somehow to work with.  But it is patently clear that I don't
really KNOW what works and what doesn't, and I'm wasting a lot
of time messing around.

        Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

        Thanks,
        Katherine Hoover