On May 31, 2009, at 8:58 PM, Aaron Sherber wrote:

On 5/31/2009 8:43 PM, John Howell wrote:
I fully realize that different people have different ways of working,
but I find this particular argument (duration before pitch or pitch
before duration) rather amusing.  In hand copying (remember doing
THAT, anyone?!!), you do both simultaneously, placing a note on a
line or space and making it black or white, and then finish up the
details.

But in hand copying you *don't* do both simultaneously. You first move your hand to the right position on the staff, and then you put a specific kind of note there. There's no other way to do it in hand copying -- you can't draw a note of a specific duration until you have first decided what the pitch is going to be.

Aaron.

Sure you can. I do it all the time. It's a great way to compose, actually, writing the rhythms and maybe an approximate contour, then go back and choose the pitches. I can only do it with a pencil, though (so far!)

But I think you two are talking apples and oranges. John was discussing copying, implying that you already know what you are putting down on paper.

Christopher