David W. Fenton wrote:
On 16 Jun 2009 at 22:05, Ray Horton wrote:

Perhaps you'd you'd share your knowledge and save me the weekend (actually, being a full-time symphony musician and a part-time church
musician, weekends wouldn't be it - more like a Monday) and name one good
free Windows graphics editor for me?

I'd have to research it myself, as my free tools are terribly out of date, and I've been a licensed PaintShop Pro user for about 12 years, so haven't needed to find new tools.

Off the top of my head, there's the Gimp, but that's a lame attempt to replace Photoshop, and has hideous user interface. I'd never use it for real work.

I think David Bailey mentioned a free graphics editor. Perhaps others could chime in, but if you're not satisfied with that, I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is and spend some time researching it.

Actually I hadn't mentioned one, but Artweaver is free and is much more capable than MSPaint. It also includes the ability to select the compression to be used (including "none") on TIF files.

It can be downloaded at: http://www.artweaver.de/index.php?en_version

It's more powerful than MSPaint so it'll take a short while to get used to all the adjustable parameters but it seems easy enough to figure out and the price is terrific.

--
David H. Bailey
dhbai...@davidbaileymusicstudio.com